- You can roam on Indian service providers’ network. Roaming charges apply.
- If you have an unlocked iPhone, you can just buy and use any Indian SIM card and pay local call charges.
- If you have a locked iPhone you can get it unlocked by most mobile shops in India, it takes just 10 mins and does not mean opening your iPhone or tampering with hardware in any way.
- If you are technically inclined you can even unlock the iphone yourself. Just check out – iPhone Dev Team, Installer and Cydia.
- I have also read that Airtel is now also selling unlocked iPhones and even unlocking the already sold iPhones for free.
Well its true you can really press keys of an iPhone with a live network sitting anywhere in the world. Ofcourse you won’t be really able to touch the iPhone but you will be able to do anything with the phone, except probably throwing it away 😉
This is made possible by using subscription based services from DeviceAnywhere, which allows you to remotely access real handsets over the internet.
They support all types of handsets on multiple networks and are basically targeting mobile developers who would like to test their applications on variety of handsets without owning each one of them.
However in my opinion potential mobile handset buyers can also use the service to get a feel of the handset and test the UI before actually going and buying it.
And since iPhone has been such a craze all over the world, I am sure enthusiasts from countries where it has not been launched yet would be interested in accessing it remotely and they can do it by paying a monthly fee of $200 and $18 for per hour of usage. But hey here is the good news, they give away 3 hours for free to anybody who signs up and I think its enough time to try out a new phone or even an iPhone so I think you guys should just go ahead and give it a try 🙂
Update on 7th Many 08: Vodafone bringing iPhone to India in September 2008