I wanted to tell you about some of the windows apps, we have developed recently. All of them are free. They are available on Intel’s AppStore called AppUp. Also available in India via Croma.
Some of our Apps are:
1. Holidays & Festivals
2. BMI Calculator
3. US Holidays
4. US State Finder
5. Unit Converter – Winner of $15000 Award in Intel AppUp Contest.
You need to do following things to download our free apps. Continue reading Free Apps for Windows7
I am going to talk about 2 interesting but India specific Google offerings here. Although Indians don’t SMS/text as much as they used to in good old days, there are reasons to chear courtesy Google. These 2 SMS services are called:
1. Google SMS Channels
– Here you can create a Channel or SMS Group and all the subscribers will be getting the channel content by SMS for free. Now this Channel can pull content from Google News and Google groups so once you point your channel to any group or news, you will be getting new content automatically by SMS. Cool isn’t it? But it does not end there – You can even pull content from your or any blogger powered blog or any RSS source, but the best part is that you can use the channel to send same SMS message to all your friends and contacts. You can just create a personal channel and invite all your contacts to it and when you post message to channel via web or by SMS it will reach everybody. So practically you can now send multiple SMSes at the cost of one sms or even for free if you use web option. Try now
2. Google SMS Search
– Google SMS search is plain, simple and straight-forward like all things Google. You just need to send you search query as sms to Google India No. 9-77-33-00000
and they send you search results by sms immediately. I have tried it and it really works and here is one more Google advantage for you – since this is a normal 10 digit no and not a special no, probably you will be charged for sending only a normal sms, which is as low as 10 paise with some SMS plans. So probably Google is not looking to rip you off by having a special 4 or 5 digit no.
BTW you can use Google search for many useful things beside search like – cricket scores, Indian Railways train schedules & ticket status, PNR, horoscopes, movie showtimes, restaurant information and more. For more info you can go here
Oh I forgot to tell you, you can subscribe
to my blog by SMS from here
Well, nearly free at $99 with rebates on Sprint. I simply can’t believe that Palm is launching Centro, a slim and small CDMA smartphone at such a price. I also think that this is the best looking palm phone ever.
Palm has proved its intentions clearly, that its now going to look beyond the smart phone market, which is just 8% of the total mobile handset market in US and going to make deep inroads into the entry level handset market as well.
Many believe that Palm is going to start a price war, many may even say that this is Palm’s last hurrah. I say that this is the turn-around time for Palm and this is the device that’s going to change Palm’s fortune for better, so start buying Palm’s stocks 😉
Talking about features, it has Palm OS, 1.3 Mega Pixel Camera, Inbuilt Messaging and other usual Treo features. Full specs here.
I think after trying a lot of different things Palm finally seems to get it right and its definitely way to go for Palm.
160BY2.com a website by the SMS solution provider – smscountry is offering free SMS to any mobile phone in India if you allow them to send the contextual advertisement with them. From what I have read on their website, they seem to mimicking the Google Adwords model.
Nonetheless I think its a good option. College students and youths can use it to send unlimited text messages to their friends for free. However I feel there are 3 issues with this service:
1. They don’t allow to send sms/text directly from user’s mobile phone. One has to visit their website to send sms. I think technology is there which can make it possible to send sms from mobile. Probably they are first experimenting with this approach and if they get some advertisers hooked up, they will begin offering sms originating from mobiles to be delivered to the designated mobile without the need for website.
2. As a policy to prevent spams they offer option to opt out to receiver, but you need to again goto their website to opt-out. This can be very annoying for someone when he is not able to go on internet to opt-out. There should be someway to opt-out using sms itself.
3. They don’t allow sending SMS to a list. You can only send sms one by one to your friends, so that kinda puts you off from forwarding some joke to all of your friends.
I feel if they are able to tie-up with some operators like Hutch, Airtel on revenue sharing basis then they can really rake in the moolahs from advertisers and operators can offer a special SMS package to willing subscribers and subscribers can send unlimted SMS messagees for free. I see this will be a win-win situation for everybody.
Overall I think its a good service and I wish them all the luck. Currently their service is by invitation only. However you can reach their invitation page at – http://160by2.com/requestinvite.aspx and request for an invite.